Nifty Tools for Instructorsmkoole, · Categories: Teaching
Before using any of these tools, check the legal agreements. In some cases, you might forfeit ownership over your creative work. Nonetheless, these are some useful tools. For the most part they are free except where indicated. If you know of any additional tools, let me know . . . leave a comment.
- Quizlet: http://quizlet.com/
Can use it for mobile: iOS and Android
- Scrumbler: http://scrumblr.ca/
- Padlet: http://padlet.com/
- GoAnimate: http://goanimate.com
Need yearly licence ($299)
- Animoto: http://animoto.com/
- Masher: http://www.masher.com/studio/
Create videos with pictures, add videos
If you’ve done some on an iPad or desktop computer, add music, add text, save. Then, you can link, embed, etc.
Looks very easy
- Movie Masher: http://www.masher.com/
Free, open source, online video editor
- Stupeflix: http://studio.stupeflix.com/en/pricing/
- PhotoPeach: http://photopeach.com/
Create a slideshow
Educator’s version allows the creation of multiple student accounts good for group projects
- PowToons: http://www.powtoon.com/edu-home
There is a free account with some limitations: max 5 min, watermark
PowToons cannot be downloaded to your own account, but you can export to YouTube
- Sparkol VideoScribe: http://www.sparkol.com
Really nice, but costs approximately $25/mo.
- Snagit – Screen Capture: http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html
Online Multimedia Posters
- Glogster: http://edu.glogster.com//what-is-glogster-edu/
- Prezzi: http://prezi.com/
Provides an interesting online interactive tool.
Free version: presentations public, open to everyone; free for educators
Various pricing options
- Educreations: http://www.educreations.com
Looks like an excellent way to create a video/animated lesson with voice, writing, drawing, etc.
- Socrative: http://www.socrative.com/video-page
Mobile classroom / Smart Student Response System
Works on smartphones, tablets, and computers (multiple platforms)
Students sign up by entering the “virtual room number” provided by the teacher (student privacy)
Could be nifty for a blended environment
Could be used for group work
- Infuse learning: http://teacher.infuselearning.com and http://student.infuselearning.com
Very similar to Socrative, free
Other than the “My Quizzes”, it appears that it is a tool that is used in a face-to-face classroom where learners are asked a question, and they input their answers into their mobile device/computer.